Spiced Scallop Kebabs


The sunny days of summer are a great time to get outside and fire up the grill!


As lighter fare and requiring minimal kitchen time, these spiced scallop kebabs can be a great addition to our weekly meal line-up over the lazier days of summer.


Here are a few health benefits of this spiced scallop kebab.


Scallops are a type of shellfish or mollusk. There are two types of scallops, the bay scallops which are smaller and more tender, and the larger sea scallops. The muscle inside this colorful shellfish is nutritious and has several health benefits associated. Low in calories, scallops offer an array of nutrients, like important trace minerals, high-quality protein, and essential fatty acids such as omega-3s (1). Scallops provide trace minerals like zinc which is important for healthy growth and brain function, and selenium which is required by the body for the production of thyroid hormone and also protects the thyroid gland from oxidative stress (2) (3). Rich in vitamin B12, scallop consumption can support the health and maintenance of the nervous system as B12 is essential to myelin synthesis, nerve metabolism, and nerve cell regeneration (4).


Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) are fruits of the nightshade family that are typically prepared and consumed as a vegetable. These little fruits are mostly water (95%), with the remaining 5% consisting primarily of carbohydrates and fiber (5). Tomatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals like vitamins C and B9 (folate), as well as minerals like potassium (5). Tomatoes contain other beneficial compounds like lycopene, chlorogenic acid, and beta carotene, that act as antioxidants protecting our cells from oxidative damage when consumed and can help lower the risk for heart disease and certain cancers (6).


Squash is a member of the gourd or Cucurbitaceae plant family like melons and cucumbers, and like the tomato is classified as a fruit, but is consumed as a vegetable (7). Squash, like the zucchini, is rich in micronutrients and plant compounds that benefit us when we consume them. For example, low-calorie zucchini provides vitamin C and vitamin A for immune support and healthy vision, as well as potassium which can improve blood pressure, and manganese, and contains small amounts of other nutrients like calcium, iron, and zinc (8). Zucchini is also high in fiber and rich in antioxidants like lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene which have been found to protect against certain cancers and heart disorders (9).


Spiced Scallop Kebab Recipe

Ingredients:
1 ½ pounds sea scallops
1-pint cherry tomatoes
1 yellow/green squash, sliced into ½ inch pieces
5 tbsp. avocado oil, divided
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled/grated
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small lime, wedged
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Instructions:

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, toss the scallops with 1 tbsp. of avocado oil and curry powder and salt and pepper. Put the scallops, tomatoes, and squash onto skewers. Grill the kebabs, turning once until cooked through. In a small bowl, combine the remaining avocado oil and ginger. Remove the kebabs from the grill and brush with the oil and ginger mixture. Sprinkle the cilantro over the kebab and serve with lime wedges.


Serve this alone or over black or wild rice.


Here’s another kebab recipe.

Recent Posts

See All